Tuesday, August 30, 2016

SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT PREJUDICE

Prejudice is a very insidious sickness of the human condition and is usually only apparent in the other guy. 
Unfortunately, it will eventually infect all of us in one way or the other, forming our attitudes and affecting our interaction with others in our world.  Christ said “Be ye as little children”. If only we were able to maintain that degree of innocence.  I can truly attest to this regarding racial prejudice. 
I grew up in a small town of approximately 600 people. When I reached the age of high school, the only people I didn’t like were bullies, Japs and Germans. .That was because I had some actual mental or physical contact with those groups.  All other people were just that, people.  I never learned to distrust or to think that colored people were any different from me.  It wasn’t until many years later that I learned why. 
I had never had any contact with people of any other color so I had never learned prejudice. For that, I feel blessed and fortunate.  I thank you Lord, for those years of innocence.  That brings me back to the children.  Children are colorblind. They will play, argue and make friends with any other child until one of them crosses the line of civility, and that is one of their guidelines. I think that is the kind of personal judgment that Rev. King was referring too.  
I did learn in later years that my contact with colored races during my formative years was so minimal due to the cities “Sundown Law”.  People of color were not allowed in the city limits after sundown and knowing this they just never came into our area.  My innocence was paid for with that which remained hidden to my nature, prejudice, bigotry and mistreatment. 
 I could feel guilty about those things but that would be misplaced guilt.  I could spend my time trying to make retribution for that but it wasn’t me that created the circumstance.  I could be aware of how wrong that law was.  I could have compassion for those who were harmed.  Having the compassion does not mean that I have to accept the blame for an act in which I was not involved.  I can, out of compassion, understand the current plight and work toward improving it.  I also feel anger toward the ignorance of the past actions of mankind in their injustice toward their fellow man.  Color is not the first to be touched by prejudice and bigotry there are few if any throughout history that have not been under that attack.  I am currently one of those who feel its sting.  I am one of those arrogant white people who want the world to forget all of our races past transgressions.   I am one of those religious fanatics who believe in the deity and the graces offered by my Savior Christ.  I am one of those traditionalists who believe that marriage is reserved for the union of a man and woman.  I am one of those who fervently wish we had a different President of our country.  I am one of those who wish our young people would pull their pants up, turn their hats around, and respect the lessons learned in the past.  Just because I believe these things does not negate my belief in the fact that we all put our lives on pathways of our own choosing.  The mile walked in my moccasins may be different but I also understand that your mile is unique to you and I hope your journey ends well.  
God speed.



To trade one form of prejudice for another doesn’t make you better or different but it can make you a bigot of another color. Arbee


No comments:

Post a Comment